click to show more information

click to hide/show information About this Show

Greta Van Susteren

News/Business. (2012) (CC)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 760 (FOX NEWS HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 15, Obama 13, Greta 13, Iran 11, Israel 9, U.n. 8, Obama Administration 7, Romney 7, Dr. Kissinger 6, United States 6, U.s. 6, America 6, Ann Coulter 4, Netanyahu 4, Wisconsin 3, Barack Obama 3, Clinton 3, Dick Morris 2, Paul Ryan 2, Susan Rice 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    Greta Van Susteren    News/Business.  (2012)  (CC)  

    September 27, 2012
    10:00 - 11:00pm PDT  

10:00pm
>> what happened initially, it was a spontaneous reaction to what had just transpired in cairo as a consequence of the video. >> as i said last week, as our ambassador to the united nations said on sunday, as i said the other day, based on what we know and now, and knew at the time, we have no evidence of a preplanned or premeditated attack. >> two sources have told fox that within 24 hours of the attack, all of the evidence that the u.s. intelligence committee had at that time pointed to a terrorist attack, and that it was the work of a specific group related to al-qaeda and its affiliate in that area. >> obama sends his surrogates out to lie about the -- about the cause and the nature of the attacks. obama created a conspiracy theory, and coordinated a campaign of deceit to distract
10:01pm
from the truth that affects our national security. >> the thing that's disturbing about this is the naivete of an absolute fundamental ignorance of the -- of warfare. look, this was an attack on its face. >> this is turning into something not short of banghazigate. what's going on here? why are we not being told what happened to these four americans? >> the administration is living in a fantasy world. first they insist it wasn't a terrorist attack. then they say they can't whether it was or not, so the fbi completes an investigation, which it hasn't begun. >> this is a cover-up in the middle of a campaign, a cover-up related to the security of the united states of america, relating to the depths of four brave americans. >> if you're applying intelligence and common sense, the fact is this clearly was a terrorist attack. >> i think operate clearly it was a terrorist attack, because a group of terrorists obviously conducted that attack on the consulate. >> so this campaign of deceit was deployed, was put out there
10:02pm
because obama has a re-election campaign, and the truth would make him a one-term president. so we can't have the truth. we can't have the truth about anything. we can't have the truth about the failures of his economic policies. we can't have the truth about the failure of his foreign policy. we can't have the truth about his overall failure as a president at anything. >> greta: and the hits keep coming and fast. former new hampshire governor john sununu ratchets it up, saying president obama is absolutely lazy and detached from his job. governor sununu joins us. nice to see you, governor. >> good to be here. how are you? >> greta: very well. very tough words. can you defend them? because that's very biting words. >> sure. look, one of the key responsibilities of a president is to keep up with the intelligence data that's coming in, what's going on around the world. this president has skipped about 60% of his personal contact
10:03pm
presidential daily briefings, the pdb. that document he skims on his ipad is a summary. the briefings that come over, the experts that come over to follow in detail what's coming up on, this president thinks he's so smart he doesn't have to go through that. he thinks he doesn't need to put the extra work in for going through that process. that's why i say he's lazy and detached and unfortunately ambassador stevens suffered the consequences of us not providing adequate security there. >> greta: are you saying, though -- okay, you say that he died as a result of us not putting adequate security there, i agree with you on that. are you saying that president obama is in any way responsible for his death? >> look, an administration as a whole is responsible for what happens on its watch, unless he wants to tell us that the buck doesn't stop there. this president has, in my
10:04pm
opinion, failed to maintain respect for the united states in that part of the world. and respect is one of the great assets you have in trying to protect your diplomats around the world. >world. >> greta: can you think of reason the administration kept pushing the youtube video theory, not straight with us from the get-go? i mean, people were suspicious. it's 9/11. it's americans getting killed. it's that part of the world. it's our property, because it's the consulate. is there any other -- is there any explanation that you can give us as to why we weren't told it was terrorism when they knew it? >> you gave some choices of incompetence, lying or cover-up. i think it's all three. i think it's incompetence. i think it is a fact that they have policies there that don't work. i think it's lying. he goes to the u.n. and says video, video, video, video after his own people before he went to the u.n. had begun to acknowledge that it was a terrorist attack.
10:05pm
that to me is disingenuous. frankly what is puzzling is what they could possibly have thought they would gain by going through this. i think that just reinforces the incompetent component. >> greta: you know, i've been to think what could possibly be the explanation, because, i mean, it is bizarre that the american people weren't told. i mean, everybody was sort of suspicious, you know, because of when it happened, although, you know, the facts may bear out something different, but naturally it looked like it from the get-go. i'm wondering if there's a political advantage, that he thinks it's better if we think al-qaeda is pretty much finished and have al-qaeda rear its ugly ahead even as a relationship to this group, if that's politically unattractive, i mean that is a possibility? >> greta, i have no idea what this president does or doesn't -- why this president does or doesn't do what he does. i think most people who understand foreign policy are also scratching their head. we have gone into a complicated
10:06pm
part of the world, and really made a specific effort to try and undermine our own credibility, our own perception of strength, our own perception of willing to be tough. we have failed, for example, to put real hard pressure on the russians who keep sending arms to assad, even though we said 14 months ago assad has to go. i cannot understand the logic behind the illogical foreign policy of this administration. >> greta: okay. you've worked in the white house, two administrations. i'm curious how these daily briefings, how they routinely work. i mean, are they usually at the same time everyone day? take me through what these are. >> i can tell how they were under george herbert walker bush. i doubt they strayed very much at least in the way they would like them to happen, but obviously each president does it his own way. every day at about the same time, i think it was around 8:15 in the morning, between 8:00 and 8:15 in the morning, the briefer
10:07pm
would come in. the president would be given half a dozen, maybe a dozen pages. he would spend five or 10 minutes going through it. then we would engage the briefer, whatever experts they brought, to answer specific questions about the issues that were outlined -- and the word is outlined -- in that document there. the president would go through and ask questions. in the bush white house, it was the president, the chief of staff, myself, the national security advisor, and the vice president. and that's the process that we had. and that's the most important half hour of the day for the president to find out what's going on around the world beyond the headlines that one might read in the newspaper. and it is in fact that intelligence briefing that i think is the most important single source of information for the president to get a sense for what his daily responsibilities are to preserve the national security of the country and stability around the world.
10:08pm
>> greta: hypothetically, is it ever okay for the president to -- are there any circumstances where a president should lie to the american people, or it's okay to the american people, it's good to lie to the american people? >> well, the right answer to that is i should lie to you and say no. >> greta: okay. how about telling me the truth? i mean, i'm just trying -- you know, for the life of me i can't figure out why they blamed it on the youtube video. >> sure. if you ask a president a direct question, in which he gives you an absolutely honest answer it jeopardizes the national security of the united states, i think he ought to give you an evasive answer. >> greta: so unusual that a u.n. ambassador, susan rice, got sent out. like they sent her out to dry, send her out to the five sunday shows to look the most foolish. >> and the president goes to the u.n. and says video, video,
10:09pm
video. he hung himself out to dry. this is after his press secretary that it is obvious that it was an act of terrorism. there's no rationality to this white house. >> greta: governor, thank you, sir. >> thank you. >> greta: now to a very disturbing question. did the obama administration just flat out lie? the obama administration did know from day one that the attack in our consulate in banghazi was terrorism. why didn't they tell us? is there some reasonable explanation? let's ask state department official hi liz cheney. why didn't we get the truth from the get-go? >> one you heard the president's speech in virginia, he said al-qaeda is on a path to defeat and osama bin laden is dead.
10:10pm
that's their success, that somehow the killing of bin laden has ended the war. it's an inconvenient fact for them politically if in fact al-qaeda is resurgent across north africa, in the gulf, as we've seen now in the last few days. so for them to have to come out and say this was a terrorist attack on an american official, an assassination of an american official by al-qaeda on september 11th, really, you know, after they had just had a week of spiking the football at their own convention makes things very difficult for templately. >> greta: for the life of me i don't understand why the president doesn't say, right from the get-go, we suspect terrorism, it's 9/11, americans were murdered on american property, who didn't suspect that? we have to wait for facts. we mistakenly thought it was the video. we've now learned that it's not the video, that it's this. but he doesn't even like sort of confront the sort of situation. >> no. well, i think most people had their first inclination that was
10:11pm
something very wrong here with susan rice that first weekend out, saying this was a video, this was a video, this was spontaneous, when people knew it wasn't. the second problem they have, greta, we now know because of the reporting of katherine harridge here, there was a dea assessment, a cia assessment, the chairman of the joint chiefs say
10:12pm
>> i would suspect she would not want one the one out saying, frankly what we now know is not honest. susan wright, i don't know if she drew the short straw or volunteered. but she could have said, we don't know all the facts yet. again,it think the other problem we have, this pre-9/11 mentality and the administration doesn't want to have to say to the american people, we're dealing with terrorism as a law enforcement matter. they don't want to admit that.
10:13pm
but everything they have done to date shows they view this as a crime, not as a matter of war. essential having to say, we were attacked again on the anniversary of 9/11 would remind people that we're still at war. >> do you think this has any political effect? the american people, historically, vote for the economy. that's the primary. is this on the eve of the election, is this an election that's going to go away or stick? >> i think the combination of the resurgence of al qaeda, the combination of seeing this on the television screen, plus, what people are now seeing looks to have been lying to the american people has very real potential to make people understand this is not somebody who ought to lead us another four years. >> thank, greta. >> now, is israeli prime minister benjamin netanyahu warning, the hour is getting late, very late to stop iran, saying that iran could build a nuclear bomb by next summer and
10:14pm
urging, maybe even begging the world to draw a clear, red line to prevent. >> it where should a red line be drawn? a red line should be drawn right here. before iran completes the second stage of nuclear enrichment, necessary to make a bomb, before iran gets to a point where it's a few month away or a few weeks away from amassing enough rich uranium to make a nuclear weapon. >> the former u.n. ambassador, john bolton is here. good evening, sir. your reaction to the prime minister's speech today? >> well, i thought he made a couple of important points. the first is this effort to draw a red line, which i think is a mistake in strategic terms. but this political term, it's important for the leader of a democratic country. he has to be able to justify to his fellow citizens if he's
10:15pm
about to make the very hard and risky decision to use military force against iran's nuclear weapons program. i think he needs to show that he tried to get the tows agree on a red line. he tried to meet with the president. they failed. now he will do it publicly. i think he is doing his duty of prime minister of israel, to show that he has gone the extra mile. second, he made a very, very effective argument against the continued reliance on economic sanctions to stop iran's nuclear weapons program. continued reliance on sanction, objectively speaking benefits iran because it provides the illusion that we're doing something about the nuclear program, when it gives iran more time. i think that netanyahu laid that case out very effectively. so he's put the world on notice that -- that they are getting ready. he gave the obama administration a concession. he did push the timeline back a little bit. his key phrase was spring or summer.
10:16pm
technically spring begins at the vernal equinox on march 20. i think that's the key date. evereur election and the inauguration on the 20th. >> let me tell you my suspicious thought for which i am only -- i must underline, it's suspicious. i thought that he was more aggressive last year when he spoke to the general assembly this. year talmost seemed like, by giving it a six or eight months period to the red line, is that he was telling iran, you can take a deep breath. we're not going to do anything for six months. you can basically stand down from your alarm about we, israel , are going to do to you, meanwhile getting revved up and ready. i think it's pretty plain to this prime minister that ahmadinejad is not going to back down,. >> yeah, of course, it is not just ahmadinejad. it's the entire iyanomami regime. i think he was saying to obam acalm down, i am not going to do anything before november 6 and
10:17pm
he was indicating to governor romney he is not going to do anything before the 20th of january. in fact, one of the problems with the red line that prime minister netanyahu himself said in his speech is that our intelligence on where iran is, is imperfect. when you draw a line that you cannot absolutely verify, you can't be certain when they have reached weapons-grade levels of uranium enrichment. in a way, you are holding yourself hostage to your own, inadequate intelligence. i think that iran blew past red lines long ago and they'll not take any threat seriously because they don't believe in particular, the united states will use military force. >> it seemed like that he had a much cozier relationship with the united states today in his speech. it's been frost neprior months, or that's been the exchange, listening to the two nations. i am curious, i think you probably have a softer view than
10:18pm
i do, is that today, our u.n. ambassador, susan rice didn't attend the speech by the prime minister because the speeches went long. instead, she elected to go to a luncheon with foreign ministers. so she was not present. we had our enscproi our usesr u.s. ambassador to israel there. but it appeared to me that that it would have been, in light of the problems we have had, showing our close west this country that -- she should have been there. >> well, from the obama administration point of view, i would have thought she would have attended both the netanyahu and the mamaude abbas. but instead, she went to lunch with secretary of state hillary clinton and five members of the security council. that's hillary clinton's call. i would have recommended being in the hall to have a higher-ranking official there. >> why wouldn't they want to do
10:19pm
that? am i just way too sensitive about this? with all the sort of problems that -- that the president obama has seemingly had with the prime minister, why wouldn't we want to show huge respect, especially yesterday after ahmadinejad speaking on yom kippur and the slights that the israelis have had the last few days? >> you know, that's a question that goes to a course of conduct by the obama administration for 3 1/2 years of utter disdain for both prime minister netanyahu and the state of israel. and it is simply one more brick in the wall of the case that the president's perfectly prepared to isolate israel and does not hold the israel/u.s. relationship in the high regard of every other president since harry s. truman. so i think it's in line with the administration's effort to distance itself, which has been manifest so many ways. >> it may be just bad manners
10:20pm
and pales in consideration of the more important issues of nuclear weapons. ra ambassador, thank you, sir. >> thank you. >> straight ahead, is governor romney taking the lead? that could be true? dick morris says there is more to the poll than meets the eye. he is here to tell you next. also, former secretary of state kissinger -- does he think the u.s. should draw a red line to stop iran's nuclear buildup? hear straight from dr. kissinger. and mark fly and ann coulter take on the ladies. view. you have to see this one. and you will be talking about this tomorrow. dont move. "on the"on the record" back in 0 seconds.
10:21pm
10:22pm
>> the estion who hats edge. polls in swing states showing president obama pulling ahead of governor mitt romney, but not so fast. dick morris, author of new book "here come the black helicopters" has something to say about the polls. he joins us. nice to see you, dick. dick, you may be perhaps the only one who's saying that these polls suggest that governor romney is winning. please tell me how you arrive at that. >> sure. well, karl rove i think has some thoughts like that. let me go through it. what's going on now is these polls are assuming that you have the same high level of african american, latino and young people vote in 2012 that you had in 2008. not the normal level, which you had in '04, '00, '06 and so on. the pollsters are awaiting the data to assume you have that
10:23pm
level. so, for example, in 2008, 14% of the vote was cast by african americans. in 2004, in all the other years, only 11% was. in 2010, only 11% was. so what the pollsters is doing is weighting up the number of black interviews, giving them more weight so that they account for 14% of the sample, not 11%. for young people, they historically have been 12% of the vote. they're weighting it up to the 18% that it was in 2008. latinos have always been 7%. they're weighting it up to 9%. they're doing so either because they're in the -- i believe misguided impression -- that the electorate of 2012 will be the same as '08, or that it's wishful thinking on their part, and they're trying to present polls that discourage romney supporters and encourage obama donors. >> greta: first the african american issue. it's a versus 11%. could that 3% differential, is
10:24pm
that so significant as to skew the polls? i mean, is that a huge massager? >margin?>> well, it's a three-point-point margin. in other words if you have a poll showing romney losing by five, he's only losing by two. the latinos bring it to even, and the young people give romney an edge. when you look at all of these polls, you go by what is the most likely turnout, not the eight turn out, a lot less, maybe more than far, but less than 2008. you get to what rasmussen has, who does it properly, a tie race. when you have a tie race, greta, it's an advantage for romney, because the undecided vote always goes against the incumbent. that's how reagan got elected. carter was six points ahead of him seven days out, and carter lost by nine because the undecided always went to the challenger. when you're undecided you're basically saying you don't like
10:25pm
the incumbent. >> greta: if you take today's numbers, instead of weighting them to the 2008 election, weight them to 2004 or 2000, does it have a different winner? >> yes. if you take any of these polls that currently show romney behind by five, six, or seven points, you weight them to the 2008 turnout, you have romney at least tied and in most cases ahead. you also have him carrying florida easily, virginia easily, ohio more or less a break-even race. you not only have the weighting, you have the undecided vote. i really believe that's what's going on -- we all talk about media bias. this is an instance of it. they're trying to drown the romney campaign and the perception that they can't win, they're losing, so everybody gives up. it just ain't so. >> greta: dick, just a quick question. you said if you weight them to 2008, only five seconds left, did you mean weight it to 2004?
10:26pm
>> if you weight it to '04, romney's winning. >> greta: okay. >> i have a take on netanyahu. just take a second to say. >> greta: five seconds. >> yeah. he has decided, i think, to wait for romney to become the new president before he attacks iran. that was the meaning of the march date. if he thought obama was going to win the election, he would probably attack before election day. so obama would be constrained by not wanting to lose the jewish vote. clearly the u.s. has a military capacity they don't, and if he waits until march romney would use it on his behalf. >> greta: that's a long five seconds. dick, thank you. >> thank you. >> greta: up next, they voted for clinton, gore and obama. so why do they now plan to vote for governor mitt romney in november? you'll hear from voters who are switching sides and our political panel is here to talk about it. that's next. also fur flying and blood on the floor on the set of "the view." see what happens when ann coulter goes head-to-head with
10:27pm
the show's five hosts. it isn't pretty, but you can't stop watching it. you'll see it. back in 60 seconds. ♪ [ male announcer ] introducing a stunning work of technology. introducing the entirely new lexus es. and the first-ever es hybrid. this is the pursuit of perfection.
10:28pm
>> greta: from the $16 trillion deficit to the stubbornly high unemployment rate, president obama supportsers are finding lots of reasons to change their votes. they're speaking out in a new ad for the romney/ryan ticket. shot clock. >> i voted for bill clinton twice. i voted for clinton. >> i voted for clinton. >> al gore. >> i voted for al gore. >> al gore. >> i voted for barack obama. >> i voted for barack obama. >> barack obama in 2008. >> i had huge hopes. but you know what, i got burned in 2008. >> the trillions and trillions of dollars of deficits. >> this time. >> this year. >> i've changed. >> i'm changing my vote. >> i changed my mind. >> to mitt romney and paul ryan. >> to romney and ryan. >> to mitt romney and paul ryan.
10:29pm
they have plans and ideas that i believe will work. >> greta: joining us our political panel, rick klein, michael crawley, and justin sink. rick? >> find me a voter for voted for mccain four years ago and now says obama. it's a small segment of the population. this is the kind of message. it's an invitation to the former obama voters, the one-time obama voters who may be supporting him right now, on the fence right now, to say join us on the other side, you don't have to hate the guy, that he's the wrong direction for the country, we're giving up on him, moving the other direction. it's a powerful message, something the romney campaign would have liked to tap into a few months ago. >> greta: michael? >> how are the people in the middle, willing to vote for either party, not strong partisan, how are they going to
10:30pm
break at the end of the day? they could decide it. >> the romney party will break overwhelming against obama. if he hasn't closed the deal yet, they'll get the voters. the cautionary note in 2004, john kerry was banking on a similar dynamic. he was hoping a lot of people that voted for george w. bush would say, i don't like the things worked out, i'll go with kerry. they split down the middle, enough to let bush stay in office. >> i thought it was interesting that the voters said, i'm changing my vote, i'm changing my vote. that was the predominant message of the obama campaign in 2008, you know, change, we saw on the signs, the banners. you really see that the romney campaign is trying to tap into those voters, really co-op them from the obama campaign. >> greta: i thought it was a two-fer. i thought it was also an effort to get the women. you know, they could have put men in there, found some men. michael, the women vote was important, certainly in '96. >> that struck me as well. this is a running theme with the
10:31pm
romney campaign in the homestretch. you know, i took one thing away from that convention in tampa, it was we love you, women, women are special, women are great. a lot of the romney advertising has a very -- has had a very heavy female presence. they have a budge big deficit wh women, and they're trying to close it. >> greta: rick? >> no subtly in terms of the campaign messaging. i go one step further, i think that was midwestern accents i heard. >> greta: either from illinois or wisconsin. >> we really like you if you live in wisconsin or ohio or illinois. they need to be doing better among women. republicans almost always lose women in republican conventions. can't lose it as badly as they are right now to barack obama. >> when you look at the money spent on this ad, they're spending $10 million on this push, and much of it is going to those exact midwestern states, wisconsin, ohio and iowa, the
10:32pm
states that romney needs to kind of gain ground on. >> wisconsin really opens up possibilities. without wisconsin, it's looking very hard, particularly the way things are looking in ohio, so many other swing states. if he can get florida or wisconsin, he has a path. >> greta: those were nice ads. no one is said to be a rot and horrible person, a thief or crook. it was a nice ad. >> that's the point. the country hasn't decided that it doesn't like barack obama. it may not vote for him again, but even people that -- pretty strong partisan, a lot of folks say they like him generally, and certainly people that voted for him four years ago you're not going to convince him he's all the evil things that some of the ads say he is. >> the 47% video that came out last, campaig romney talking abt campaign strategy, he said they were having a tough time selling a vilified version of barack obama to former voters, so they wanted to hammer the idea of disappointment, disenchantment. you saw that in this ad. >> romney said that at the convention in tampa. the clear message has been, if
10:33pm
you voted for barack obama, it's understandable. there was a lot of excitement at that moment, but now you may be excited, take another look, think about it again. don't feel about your original vote, but the guy was in over his head. that's a recurring merge. >> greta: up next, former secretary of state henry kissingker, prime minister netanyahu urging the world to draw a red line. is that what the u.s. should do? dr. kissinger in two minutes. and the latest youtube craze takes aim at the replacement referees. you have to see that as well. you have to see that as well. that's two minutes away. two years ago, the people of bp made a commitment to the gulf. you have to see that as well. that's two minutes away. and every day since, we've worked hard to keep it. bp has paid over twenty-three billion dollars to help people and businesses who were affected, and to cover cleanup costs. today, the beaches and gulf are open for everyone to enjoy -- and many areas are reporting their best tourism seasons in years. we've shared what we've learned with governments and across
10:34pm
the industry so we can all produce energy more safely. i want you to know, there's another commitment bp takes just as seriously: our commitment to america. bp supports nearly two-hundred-fifty thousand jobs in communities across the country. we hired three thousand people just last year. bp invests more in america than in any other country. in fact, over the last five years, no other energy company has invested more in the us than bp. we're working to fuel america for generations to come. today, our commitment to the gulf, and to america, has never been stronger. when the doctor told me that i could smoke for the first week... i'm like...yeah, ok... little did i know that one week later i wasn't smoking. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix is proven to help people quit smoking. it reduces the urge to smoke. some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix.
10:35pm
if you notice any of these stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serus allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, tell your doctor if you have new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack. use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. it helps to have people around you... they say, you're much bigger than this. and you are. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you. >> greta: this was a terrible call. it robbed the packers of a win on monday night, and brought the replacement refs battle to a piling point. that was not funny at all, but unrough station found the comedic sign in a spoof of "call me maybe."
10:36pm
>> ♪ i just met you what's your number. ♪ i'll call it maybe ♪ what's the number ♪ i'll call it maybe ♪ hey just met you ♪ that play was crazy ♪ what's it number ♪ i'll call it maybe. >> greta: big news, the nfl and real refs reached a tentative deal. what do you think about the fiasco? [ engine revving ]
10:37pm
♪ [ male announcer ] every car we build must make adrenaline pump and pulses quicken. ♪ to help you not just to stay ale... but feel alive. the new c class is no exception. it's a mercedes-benz through and through. see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for exceptional offers through mercedes-benz financial services.
10:38pm
everyone in the nicu, all the nurses wanted to watch him when he was there 118 days. everything that you thought was important to you changes in light of having a child that needs you every moment. i wouldn't trade him for the world. who matters most to you says the most about you. massmutual is owned by our policyholders so they matter most to us. if you're caring for a child with special needs,
10:39pm
our innovative special care program offers strategies that can help. >> greta: it no secret, the relationship between the united states between and israel is frostier now more than ever. former secretary of state henry kissinger warning that has to change. we spoke with dr. kissinger earlier tonight. dr. kissinger, nice to see you, sir. >> always good to be here. >> greta: how do you describe the current state of relations between the israel and the u.s.? >> it's strained, because there are assurances given, but the relationship is aloof. it's not really full confidence on either side. and as the situation develops, that has to change. >> greta: what happened? because we used to be on very
10:40pm
good terms with israel. at least i think there was trust back and forth. >> well, there are a number of issues. i think we agree about the nature of the danger, but the israelis feel a greater sense of urgency that -- a greater surge urgency we do, and that there's a timeline that needs to be as netanyahu said at the u.n. today. we believe we should permit diplomacy to develop beyond a further beyond, but the fact of the matter is that i would say within a year from now the question has to be answered, where is the iranian program? secondly, what do we define as unacceptable? and third, what are we going to do about it? at that point we have to come
10:41pm
together, because i don't think there's any question that israel will not accept it, and that there is -- therefore there is high danger of a conflict. >> greta: today at the u.n., when prime minister netanyahu spoke, he put up the chart and showed the three stages of development of a nuclear weapon. he has said that the first stage has been met by iran. the second stage will be completed by late spring or early summer. and then it's just a matter of a couple weeks or a short time after for the third stage in which they will have the nuclear weapon. what he said was that we need to increase sanctions and try to use some diplomacy, but he wants a red line, a line beyond which -- that's next spring when they finish stage two. do you think the red line is a good idea? >> well, i would divide red line into three different parts. one, you can define it as
10:42pm
meaning that we give the israelis authorization to act on the basis of a red line. that i don't think we can do. we cannot give a country an advance authorization to go to war. secondly, should we have a red line in our own mind at which point we say the unacceptable level has been reached? absolutely. we have to understand what we mean by the red line, and not redefine it in order to extend it. third, should the iranians understand that there is a red line which they cannot cross i would again say absolutely. so in the sense of should there be an american position that defines to ourselves what we
10:43pm
consider unacceptable and what we will do about it, and conveys that determination to the iranians, that needs to be done. that needs -- doesn't need to be announced, but it needs really to exist. >> greta: now we have so much more with dr. kissinger. he says that the attacks in libya were clearly terrorism from the start. so why didn't the obama administration say that? we asked dr. kissinger. hear his answer to that and much more. go to gretawire.com and watch the rest of the interview. straight ahead, who is rush limbaugh accusing of running a campaign of deceit? rush will tell you himself. rush will tell you himself. that's next. hungry for the best? it's eb. want to give your family the very best in taste, freshness, and nutrition? it's eb. eggland's best. better taste. better nutrition. better eggs. it's eb. governor of getting it done.
10:44pm
you know how to dance... with a deadline. and you...rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle... and go. you can even take a full-size or above, and still pay the mid-size price. this is awesome. [ male announcer ] yes, it is, business pro. yes, it is. go national. go like a pro.
10:45pm
10:46pm
10:47pm
>> greta: rush limbaugh is accusing president obama of running a campaign of deceit. why? here's rush. >> bottom line is obama knew the attacks on our embassies on the anniversary of 9/11 were planned and it had nothing to do with the video. he knew that within 24 hours, if not sooner. the attack at banghazi and upon the death of the ambassador. let's boil that down. what was the theme of yesterday's program? obama knowingly lied to the american people. obama and his conspiracy theory,
10:48pm
coordinating a campaign of deceit to distract from the truth that affects our national security. by the way, this was a truth that revealed reckless incompetence in planning for the security and safety to people that work for him. the state department five days, you know this, five days before put a notice up on one of their websites that there was no credible information of any threat, and 9/11's coming up, but we don't have any credible information. that's now been scrubbed. the gateway pundit is reporting that warning -- it was not a warning -- that that little memo from the state department to employees that worked there, that's been scrubbed from their site. you can't go find the posting on the state department website which told everybody over there was no problem. they've taken it down. this is not -- this is not the kind of -- this is the most
10:49pm
transparent regime in history, they promised. so this campaign of we do deceis deployed, put out there, because obama has a re-election campaign, and the truth would make him a one-term president. >> greta: democratic strategist joe trippi joins us. joe, this situation looks bad for the white house. even after it became apparent that it was terrorism to the rest of the word, the president still hung on to the video theory. play devil's advocate, can you come up with a plausible explanation? >> there's a bunch of them. first of all, we still do not know any of the things that rush is talking about. we do not know for a fact that the president knew the next day, 24 hours later. but assuming he did -- >> greta: you should havhe shou. would you agree with that?
10:50pm
>> it's one thing for you and i to look at it and says this is a terrorist attack. our government only says that when they know for sure it is one. >> greta: apparently they do intelligence internally that said it was a terrorist attack, and when it happened, if i was the president, the first thing i would say, what happened? >> right. look, there's definitely a big back story that none of us know about it. there will be an investigation. the senators are calling for it. one of the things that could have happened simply is the guys who did this are on the run. we actually had intelligence maybe that says that they kind of knew the neighbor neighborhot they were going in. they want to keep them there. they don't want them to run to another country now, so you put out the word that this wasn't a terrorist attack. >> greta: put a street story out? >> yeah. we know who did it, we're coming for you, only gets them to go run. i don't know any of this, but
10:51pm
i'm saying there are plausible things that we'll find out something, because none of this story makes sense. i agree with rush, none of it makes sense, but i don't think it's -- i don't think there was like a owe foe campaign purposes they tried to tell people it wasn't an al-qaeda attack. they're telling people it was a terrorist attack, that there were attacks to militia and terrorist organizations. what's the cover-up? >> greta: if it's not a cover-up campaign reason, then it's incompetence, which is also not particularly flattering or there's some back story. one of those three. >> clearly there wasn't enough security and -- i mean, there was a security lapse here that -- >> greta: that's a different issue. i think everyone agrees on that one. >> so there was competence issues there that will come out. we'll find the bottom out of that. i do think there's a colossal, massive back story that we don't know. by the way, i've done a lot of work in the region. you know, you'll often have
10:52pm
clandestine operations going on in which the government of libya did not know about that we had americans there that they did not -- the government didn't know, the terrorists didn't know they were there, and we were getting them out. there's all different kinds of -- >> greta: you don't get a ton of mail that -- what does joe trippi think about it? i asked you for the hypotheticals. >> i don't believe necessarily any one of these things, but something else is going on that the senate and other people are going to find out. press will find out over time, but none of what we're hearing makes sense. >> greta: unless it's incredible incompetence or deceit. those are the other two choices. >> right. i don't buy the deceit. i don't understand what you get for lying for five days. >> greta: why doesn't he come clean and explain? >> there's some reason they can't. i really believe that. there's some other thing going on that gets to -- that -- we
10:53pm
are going to find out. now, the republicans will say, we're not going to find out till after the election. probably true. >> greta: all right. i got to go. joe, thank you. coming up, would last call, tv studio looks like more like a boxing ring. boxing ring. ann coulter in one americans are always ready to work hard for a better future. since ameriprise financial was founded back in 1894, they've been committed to putting clients first. helping generations through tough times. good times. never taking a bailout. there when you need them. helping millions of americans over the centuries. the strength of a global financial leader. the heart of a one-to-one relationship. together for your future. ♪
10:54pm
wanted to provide better employee benefits while balancing the company's bottom line, their very first word was... [ to the tune of "lullaby and good night" ] ♪ af-lac ♪ aflac [ male announcer ] find out more at... [ duck ] aflac! [ male announcer ] ...forbusiness.com. [ yawning sound ] ♪ pling a lone hand ♪ my life begins today ♪ ♪ fly by night away from here ♪ ♪ change my life again ♪ ♪ fly by night, goodbye my dear ♪ ♪ my ship isn't coming ♪ and i just can't pretend oww! ♪ [ male announcer ] careful, you're no longer invisible in a midsize sedan. the volkswagen passat. the 2012 motor trend car of the year. that's the power of german engineering. oh, hey alex. just picking up some, brochures, posters copies of my acceptance speech. great! it's always good to have a backup plan, in case i get hit by a meteor. wow, your hair looks great. didn't realize they did photoshop here.
10:55pm
hey, good call on those mugs. can't let 'em see what you're drinking. you know, i'm glad we're both running a nice, clean race. no need to get nasty. here's your "honk if you had an affair with taylor" yard sign. looks good. [ male announcer ] fedex office. now save 50% on banners. sven's home security gets the most rewards of any small business credit card! how does this thinwork? oh, i like it! [ garth ] sven's small business earns 2% casback on every purche, every day! woo-hoo!!! so that ten security gators, right? put them on my spark card! why settle for less? testing hot tar... great businesses deserve the most rewards! [ male announcer ] the ark business card from capital one. choose unlimited rewards with 2% cash back or double miles on every purchase, every day! what's in your wallet? here's your invoice. to meet the needs of my growing business. but how am i going to fund it? and i have to find a way to manage my cash flow better.
10:56pm
[ female announcer ] our wells fargo bankers are here to listen, offer guidance and provide you with options tailored to your business. we've loaned more money to small businesses than any other bank for ten years running. so come talk to us to see how we can help. wells fargo. together we'll go far. wells fargo. so, i'm working on a cistern intake valve, and the guy hands me a locknut wrench. no way! i'm like, what is this, a drainpipe slipknot?
10:57pm
wherever your business takes you, nobody keeps you on the rd like progressive commercial auto. [ flo speaking japanese ] [ shouting in japanese ] we work wherever you work. now, that's progressive. call or click today. >> greta: 11:00 is almost here, flash studio lights it's time for last call. fire works at the view today, whoopi goldberg going head to head with ann coulter about her new book. >> what i'm trying to say is that race mongering has been very bad for america. liberals use it to promote cause that's have nothing to do with blacks and in fact harm blacks. >> please stop. if you're going to talk about race at least know what you're talking about. at least know what you're
10:58pm
talking about. >> tell me how much you know about being black. >> this isn't about being black. >> what you just said you made statements about how black people feel. >> this is not a book about black people this is a book about white liberals and i do know this, is a fact republican policies on crime and welfare were caused ratist when they got implemented after the oj verdict, i might add by reagan and bush judges over all, tens of thousands of black lives were saved. that is a fact. i do not have to know about... >> you're -- you're what are your facts a little shaky. >> democratic segregationists were all liberal democrats it's a lie they were conservative democrats. >> they, everybody was. white people were. they didn't matter whether they were or not.
10:59pm
>> hold on, hold on. >> let me ask you this. >> this is -- okay. >> that is your last call. lights are blinking and we're closing down shop. go to greta wire.com. watch the entire interview. there is an open thread for you. good nig pat buchanan. many, many more. stay with us on fox business. >> eric: hello, everybody. i'm eric bolling with kimberly guilfoyle, bob beckel, andrea tantaros, greg gutfeld. it's 5:00 in new york city. this is "the five." ♪ ♪ >> eric: the obama administration coverup of an american debt. not a spy thriller or conspiracy movie. it's real. four americans are debt and it's all playing out in front of our eyes. fox news has confirmed within 24 hours of the assault in benghazi, u.s. intelligence knew it was preplanned and ladies and gentlemened it a terrorist attack,